Re: bandwidth dimensioning

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 07:51:30PM -0000, Eduardo Gargiulo wrote:
> Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> said:
>
> > Eduardo Gargiulo wrote:
> > > network. I'm thinking to pay a data link to feed a debian box and from there,
> > > via wireless links (802.11b), give internet access to aprox. 15 users. I want
> > > to guarantee 128 kb/s for every node. Which is the best way to calculate this?

First: as others have said: it depends on what you're doing and on what
your users are doing.

Take the easiest case: you need to provide (effectively) 128k to each
user continuously, guaranteed. The equivalent of an ISDN2 line each, all
the time.

16 x 128 = 2MB

This is the sort of thing that routers and Quality of Service and
forced bandwidth quotas and load balancing were invented for :)

In reality, the usage pattern per PC is much more asynmetrical: it's
probably 10:1 in terms of actual time on the net - most people spend far
more time reading their email / reading web pages than it actually takes
to download the page - effectively, their computer is virtually idle -
and is probably also more than 10:1 in favour of downlink (pulling
traffic down) rather than uplink (ping responses/DNS/ftp/web requests ...)
[My ISP provides 10M down but only 512k up on cable, for example]

Hard disk is cheaper than bandwidth: use a squid proxy to cache common
requests: build up mirrors of popular download sites if you can.

Andy