Re: megaraid and 2.6 kernel

R. W. Rodolico wrote:
There are some very interesting things in /proc/scsi, but I don't
know what all of them are. If you tell me the name of some tools,
I'll be happy to try them. This box doesn't go into production for a
few more days, and I can rebuild rapidly if I mess something up.

I went into /proc/scsi/sg/devices and played around. Did a
cat device_hdr devices device_strs
and got

host    chan    id      lun     type    opens   qdepth  busy    online
0       0       6       0       3       1       64      0       1
0       2       0       0       0       1       64      0       1
PE/PV           1x6 SCSI BP             1.0
MegaRAID        LD 0 RAID1  139G        514K

but this all appears to be talking just about the card, not the
attached drives. I pulled a drive, then plugged it back in, just for
fun, and the above values did not change (I was hoping busy or
online would). I know there is something, somewhere, 'cause during
boot a lot of interesting info about drives is placed into syslog.
Just don't see any of it in /proc

Rod

The tools most likely to work are those at http://www.lsilogic.com/downloads/downloads.do?product=8069

All the way towards the bottom of the page there are a "MegaMGR" and "GAM" for linux. We have had the GAM working om a 2.4 kernel with the standard megaraid driver, but we didn't have any luck with 2.6.

How were you planning to monitor the status of your RAID arrays? Having a RAID array is no use if more than one drive fails, and we don't regularly check our server's status displays for RAID errors.

Maarten