Re: megaraid and 2.6 kernel

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:35:14AM -0600, R. W. Rodolico wrote:
>> First, I looked through the bug lists and I looked for another
>> mailing list for this, but didn't find one. If someone knows where
>> should post this other than this list (it really doesn't fit
>> here),
>> please let me know and I'll repost.
>>
>> I have an Intel RAID controller, the SRCU42E, which uses the
>> megaraid driver. When I tried to do an install  using the 2.6
>> kernel
>> (linux26 parameter at boot) it could not find the drive (since the
>> driver is not loaded). Installed 2.4 kernel, worked just fine.
>>
>> I'm trying to build a 2.6 kernel. I build it with the megaraid
>> driver as  part of the kernel, but it fails to find /root (on the
>> raid, /dev/sda2). I have never really messed with initrd's, but it
>> looks like maybe I should be building one to get this thing
>> running?
>> But, I thought if I simply included it in the kernel, it should
>> have
>> it and boot fine.
>>
>> Here are the steps I took:
>>
>> Install binary kernel 2.6.something (top of the list)
>> Install 2.6 kernel source
>> Did a make menuconfig (which steals the config from the binary
>> image)
>> Turned on the megaraid module
>> make bzImage, make modules
>> copy bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz.2.6
>> copy the system map also
>> modified grub
>> reboot, watch it die 'cause it can not find the freakin' root
>>
>> Any ideas. Again, I do consider this off topic, but I really am
>> not
>> sure where to go. Been working on this for two days now.
>
> You might want to try the megaraid_mbox driver. (megaraid2 got
> renamed
> to it in 2.6).
>
> Also, posting some boot messages, even if YOU don't understand them,
> might help with the problem.
>
> Marcin
> --
> Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>
> http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
> GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4
> 1216

I do not find a megaraid_mbox driver. I did a grep -i mega .config
and all it came back with was the one megaraid module.

I think I pretty well understand the boot messages, but here they
are with two kernels. The first kernel is simply a binary image
downloaded with apt, the second was compiled from source. I removed
.config prior to doing a make menuconfig on it so it would build a
new configuration, then went in and made SCSI and megaraid compiled
options instead of modules, did a make all ; make modules_install,
then copied bzImage to /boot and set up grub.

kernel image 2.6.8 from apt-get
This comes right after the RAMDISK is successfully created
SCSI subsystem initialized
vesafb: probe of vesafb0 failed with error -6
NET: Registered protocol family 1
FATAL: Module megaraid2 not found
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel Panic: Attempting to kill init!

On a kernel image (2.6.8) I built myself with megaraid compiled into
the kernel
Note: I did a search throught .config and found nothing matching
"mega" in it except megaraid
It makes it a lot further, but still can not find the disks. It
installs the mouse, keyboard, NET, IP and TCP
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)