Re: megaraid and 2.6 kernel

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:35:14AM -0600, R. W. Rodolico wrote:
> First, I looked through the bug lists and I looked for another
> mailing list for this, but didn't find one. If someone knows where I
> should post this other than this list (it really doesn't fit here),
> please let me know and I'll repost.
>
> I have an Intel RAID controller, the SRCU42E, which uses the
> megaraid driver. When I tried to do an install  using the 2.6 kernel
> (linux26 parameter at boot) it could not find the drive (since the
> driver is not loaded). Installed 2.4 kernel, worked just fine.
>
> I'm trying to build a 2.6 kernel. I build it with the megaraid
> driver as  part of the kernel, but it fails to find /root (on the
> raid, /dev/sda2). I have never really messed with initrd's, but it
> looks like maybe I should be building one to get this thing running?
> But, I thought if I simply included it in the kernel, it should have
> it and boot fine.
>
> Here are the steps I took:
>
> Install binary kernel 2.6.something (top of the list)
> Install 2.6 kernel source
> Did a make menuconfig (which steals the config from the binary image)
> Turned on the megaraid module
> make bzImage, make modules
> copy bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz.2.6
> copy the system map also
> modified grub
> reboot, watch it die 'cause it can not find the freakin' root
>
> Any ideas. Again, I do consider this off topic, but I really am not
> sure where to go. Been working on this for two days now.

You might want to try the megaraid_mbox driver. (megaraid2 got renamed
to it in 2.6).

Also, posting some boot messages, even if YOU don't understand them,
might help with the problem.

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216