Re: ticket systems

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Dan MacNeil wrote:
> I'm curious as to how people use ticket systems and their bad
> experiences with ticket systems. "How" and "why" are more useful right

Well, we use OTRS (because it is far more flexible and powerfull than RT)
for workflow/internal issue tracking, and RT (because it is easy and simple)
for simple helpdesk tracking.

Training people to use OTRS was _not_ easy.  Trying to get RT to work as a
poor-man's workflow AND internal issue tracking proved to be impossible.
At least for our requirements, anyway.

So, what do you exactly need to do? If RT does it all, go for it. Otherwise,
go for OTRS.

> I'm also not sure of where the line between a ticket system, project
> system and a bug tracking system lies or should lie.

Ticket system and bug tracking systems are close, and as long as you like
fighting the system to get work done, they are interchangeable.

But a proper TTS (ticket tracking system) will do a MUCH better job of issue
tracking on massive scales, helpdesk/CRM integration, etc.  While a BTS (bug
tracking system) will know WTF a patch is, will have version tracking for
"bugs", and might even be connected to your version control system.

I don't know what a "project system" is.  But if you mean a project tracking
system, then go take a look at MS project (to my dismay, no DFSG software
comes even close), it is a completely different type of beast from a ticket
tracking system or from a BTS.  If you mean something that hosts a project
and all there is to it (BTS, TTS, mailing-lists, data repositories...), I
don't know of any that doesn't suck rocks (i.e. g-forge, sourceforge...).

> I've worked places where people game the system. A good evaluation comes

Not a good idea at all, for the exact reasons you described.

  Henrique Holschuh