Re: ticket systems

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:13:51 -0200, Henrique wrote in message
<[🔎] 20051020031351.GB32625@khazad-dum.debian.net>:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Dan MacNeil wrote:
> > I'm also not sure of where the line between a ticket system, project
> >  system and a bug tracking system lies or should lie.
>
> Ticket system and bug tracking systems are close, and as long as you
> like fighting the system to get work done, they are interchangeable.
>
> But a proper TTS (ticket tracking system) will do a MUCH better job of
> issue tracking on massive scales, helpdesk/CRM integration, etc.
> While a BTS (bug tracking system) will know WTF a patch is, will have
> version tracking for "bugs", and might even be connected to your
> version control system.
>
> I don't know what a "project system" is.  But if you mean a project
> tracking system, then go take a look at MS project (to my dismay, no

..chances are MS Project might be good for project _tracking_ ;o), it
was seen as useless for planning and managing projects last I heard
(15yrs ago), it did see some use for data entry work, feeding proper
database'd systems here.  Tools I've played with, include Artemis 7000,
Open Plan, Mias (in-house tool used by Norw. Petroleum Consultants,
Aker Engineering is the last owner I am aware of.)  The toys: Imsi
TurboProject 1.01, Easy Project 3.5, Win/MS-Project 3.1, and a Gantt
graph cell stunt we did on either Lotus 123 96 or MS Excel 5.0, AFAIR.

> DFSG software comes even close), it is a completely different type of
> beast from a ticket tracking system or from a BTS.  If you mean
> something that hosts a project and all there is to it (BTS, TTS,
> mailing-lists, data repositories...), I don't know of any that doesn't
> suck rocks (i.e. g-forge, sourceforge...).

..whoever dives into this, should check out either Artemis or Mias and
use those as baseline for worthwhile engineering project management
control tools.
Ripping out the underlying database for PostgreSQL or something better,
might be useful to minimize code work, but transaction control and
accountability is still required whenever you play with megatonnes of
steel on public billions. ;o)

..and, _don't_ look my way unless you're prepared to fund me
_handsomely_ for ditching my gasification business startup.

..whoever hops in on "artemias-dfsg" is in it for at least a coupla
years, if it gets anywhere near as fun as I guess it'll be, and me,
I cannot afford wasting any more time on yet another "Groklaw",
and, for Asia,  Africa and Latin America etc, I believe have a much
better deal than automobiles stuck in rush hour traffic.  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: