Re: ticket systems

We were using RT but a year or so ago we moved some systems around
and did not re-install it. We began using the bug tracker in
egroupware. These are my thoughts.

Having a system that accepts e-mail trouble reports and
automagically sends users updates is very, very nice if your clients
will use it. Being able to categorize tickets and set priorities is
also very nice.

One thing I wish I had and do not (or maybe don't know that I have
it) is the ability to assign multiple technicians to one ticket. An
alternative would be to be able to spawn sub-tickets for a problem
assigned to different individuals.

I also found that setting one ticket to be dependant upon another
(ie, can not upgrade web site until new perl library is installed,
two tickets, but the "upgrade web site" can not be performed until
the "install new library" ticekt is done) is very handy, and I miss
that a lot.

Another thing I find important is the ability to attach arbitrary
files to a ticket.

Anyway, these are the items I find important. As to how we actually
use it, since the e-groupware does not have many of these functions,
a client calls and whoever answers the call creates a ticket and
assigns it to a tech and gives it a priority. Then, when the job is
done, it is marked "resolved" until it is reviewed at bi-weekly
meetings, at which time it is closed. Very simple procedure for a,
as I said before, small company.

Rod