Re: Upgrading from woody to sarge

Thomas Goirand (GPLHost) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was really happy to see last 3rd of may that Sarge got frozen. Woody
> became a little bit too old for hosting I think, I needed the features
> of Sarge. I was wondering if some of you did some try upgrading from
> woody to sarge with RAID1 software setup. I've planed to do it on all my
> servers (currently maybe 10 in different locations) as soon as I did
> some successful tests, and there is security support from Debian team.

I installed Sarge on a new server and it works fine.
I will use mainly for mail relay and DNS.
Also, I was glad to finally see support for creating software raid
devices (and even boot from them) on the debian installer (setting / on
a software raid can be a real pain fi you're not paying attention to the
whole process)

> Also, it's to be checked, but it seems that when installing a Sarge with
> raid setup, it doesn't setup grub to write the mbr on BOTH drives (it
> seems it's only writing on hd0). Am I right on that point? Is that
> something I'll have to add manually, or did I miss something in the
> installer?

you're right, it doesn't add two entries in the mbr for each of the
disks. you'll just have to set it up manually (modify menu.lst from
/boot/grub, the run: grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map and on the
grub menu type:
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
root (hd1,0)