Re: Courier or Cyrus

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> Am 2005-03-30 14:04:42, schrieb Michael F. Sprague:
> > I am running a Cyrus server currently with several hundred users and
> > it's
> > been working fine for the past year or so.  After reading this thread
> > started playing with courier to get a better feel between the two.  I
> > find the
> > folder separator in courier, the '.', sort of annoying; at least from
> > personal point of view.
>
> ???
>
> > It seems to work okay in a basic IMAP client, the it also seems to
> > cause
>
> It works with 'mutt', 'mutt-ng', 'Mozilla', 'Outlook',
> 'Outlook Express', ...

Agreed, but if you're in mutt and not using IMAP, it's hard to make it
recognize the subfolders since they begin with a dot (not impossible, just a
pain).

> > issues with a text reader like mutt.  Because the dot is the folder separator
>
> Which issue ?

See above.

> > character, can one have a folder name that contains a dot?  If not, that
>
> YES

It seems to get confused for me.  I have some folders named 'sub.folder'.  When
I convert them to maildir this is interpreted as a subfolder of a subfolder
which is not what I want.  So I want:

INBOX/sub.folder

and it sees:

INBOX/sub/folder

> > seems a big issue for courier.  I mean, wouldn't the average customer have
> > an issue with that?
>
> courier-imap-ssl IS a high performanc IMAP-Server which
> I use since some years and never had problems with it.

Glad to hear it!

> > I'm sorry if this is off-topic here, but I figured if this an issue for
> > courier, someone on the ISP list would have a good opinion on what the
> > average user says.
>
> Install and try it.

I have, and I'm comparing it to cyrus.  I'm just trying to get a feel of how
the two look from the average luser's point of view.  I think you, I and
everyone on this list would be considered 'power users' when it comes to email
and can handle the minor differences between IMAP servers. :)  I'm just
concerned the users may have 'trouble' with these differences. :)

thanks,
mikeS

--
Michael Sprague  | mfs@sanellc.net
System and Network Engineering (SaNE), Inc