Re: Keep auto-periodic fsck's enabled on ext3 partitions?

On Thursday 06 January 2005 22:48, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> That is mostly relevant for systems that don't take regular backups. If
> you do (and for the sake of your customers, I hope that is the case),
> the extra precaution isn't really necessary, and probably a bad idea if
> the cost involved (in terms of downtime) is too high.

One thing that has been suggested is to use LVM and fsck a snapshot.  If fsck
on a snapshot LV indicates that nothing other than journal replay is really
needed then you can keep running.  If it finds some more serious problem then
you can consider other options.

I don't know of anyone actually implementing this due to fsck not being
painful enough.  It would be interesting to read some reports of someone
actually doing this in the field.