Re: [HELP] courier-authdaemon frustration

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 09:44:54PM +0100, Mark Lijftogt wrote:
> Well.. looking back at my reply it was a bit short, rude and not realy
> helpfull (and that can be seen as an understatement). Sorry for that.

Hi Mark... No prob. No offensive taken. :-)

> The authmysqlrc for courier is a real pain.. it took me about 10 try's to
> get it right. When I started over for the last time, I took the following
> in account;

I have noticed the same thing. Looking on Google, it appears we aren't
alone. Even Courier's web site mentions authdaemon it is hit and miss with
some people. :-/ That's not right. I'm at more than 10 attempts myself.
If the debug info was more verbose, I could figure it out. I am seriously
considering filing a wish-list bug report against the Debian package when
I finally get this working. Things shouldn't be this difficult to configure.

> I checked the mysql account information (could it be a simple username and
> password error),

Done. It looks correct. The same username and password work correctly when
postfix+mysql delivers to the virtual mailbox. I have tried other virtual
mailboxes on the server besides the dummy 'foobar' one. Same result and in
every case postfix+mysql delivers the mail but imap login fails. I'm almost
to the point of hacking the source to see what's going on. But I shouldn't
have to. :-/

> made sure there were no (trailing) spaces in the authmysqlrc

Done. re-done and done again.

> (only tabs),

done and re-done. Tried only spaces, too, but that no difference.

> usage of only single quotes (around  the GID_FIELD, UID_FIELD
> and HOME_FIELD)

Ahhh, okay partially done. Only around HOME_FIELD but not the other
two. Will change that.

> and that the GID_FIELD and UID_FIELD are the uid and gid of
> postfix.. and NOT mysql.

Okay, I'm a little confused here. According to Christoph Haas's tutorial
on workaround.org, he set up separate user:group for the virtual
mailboxes: vmail:vmail. In my current re-attempt, I followed Christoph's
instructions to the letter thinking previously I was doing something
wrong. The UID:GID for vmail is 5000:5000. These are what I used in
authmysqlrc GID_FIELD and UID_FIELD (but without single quotes).

On my server, postfix is UID:GID 101:103 and mysql is 103:105.
Are you suggesting that despite Christoph's instructions I should be
using 101 and 103 for UID_FIELD and GID_FIELD, respectively?

> That was apparently enough to get that part running.

Well, if I can get passed this problem of logging into the Courier's
imap-ssl server, I think I will be in good shape!

Thanks for the advice!

        bob
--
  bob billson        email: reb@bhive.dhs.org          ham: kc2wz   /)