Re: IMAP before relay (was: pop before smtp relay)

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:26:48AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Ward Willats wrote:
>
> >Yeah, everyone _should_ use AUTH (and heck, SSL), but for a boutique
> >server with few relayers, pop-before-smtp still works very well, thank
> >you, with no existing client configuration changes.
>
> Anyone know of any good way to implement IMAP before relay for those of
> us that left POP3 in the 80's where it belongs?  ;-)

FWIW, I was the original poster and I was only referring to the technique
of "grab mail before authentication" - we use imap(s) as well.  As myself
and others have said, 'exact' works well for this.  I'm going to look into
smtp auth next, I need to find exim docs that talk about setting it up, but
'exact' is very simple and works easily enough...

My original post was meant to find out what the modern way of doing this is
- "esmtp" or "smtp auth" seems to be the answer.

Take care,
     Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.