Re: RaiserFS via NFS

Donovan Baarda wrote:
On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 05:07, Markus Schabel wrote:

Marcel Hicking wrote:

--Saturday, April 17, 2004 11:38:56 -0700 Chad Cranston
<eradan@lanbash.com>:
I chose ext3 for it's reliablity over ReiserFS.

I found ext3 too slow (although rock solid) for large amounts of
mail.  Since Reiser was no option (too much data loss in the
past) we opted for XFS.

well, i see the same problem as everybody here: i've had some
corrupted reiserfs systems, and it wasn't possible to restore the
data (except

How long ago? Was this a recent kernel/reiserfs-tools?

2.4.18 / stable - and on multiple different machines.

backups of coures ;)). We're still running reiserfs on our proxy
servers (squid), but we have the phenomenon that the machines get
slower and slower while squid is running, and if you stop squid and
wait some time and start it again it all goes fine again. but the
problem isn't squid, it seems to be reiserfs which seems to be not
able get all data written to disk in time and slows the computer
down. (sure this also depends on the harddisks, but we played
around with hdparm and the situation was exactly the same with DMA
enabled (140MB/s) and disabled (4MB/s), so it cannot be the HDD).

Sounds strange... have you mounted the squid partition with '-o noatime'? This is a standard recommendation for squid as it reads
lots of little files and the updated atime writes can be a slowdown.

yes.

It sounds to me more like you have squid slowly running out of
memory. Check 'free' before and after you restart squid. Depending on
how you have configured your squid, it can start thrashing when the
memory cache fills up. It could be that reiser uses a little more
memory, pushing your squid over the edge.

there's always plenty of free memory available (somewhere around 50 MB,
and squid uses about 120 MB).

the interesting thing is that the machine keeps slow if i restart squid
immediatly, but if i wait a few minutes before starting again all is
fine again.

I remember reading a report that tested Linux/squid on a heap of different filesystems that concluded that the best was reiser... this
 was some time ago though so things might have changed, and perhaps
the noatime was critical.

well, as long as it runs with XFS without problems, i'll keep it that
way ;)

best regards, Markus
--

Computers are like airconditioners:
  They stop working properly if you open windows.