Re: which scsi raid adapter?

Without a doubt, 3ware escale cards.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Russell Coker wrote:

> > > huh? why?
> >
> > Firstly, performance sucks.
>
> Bonnie++ on the Mylex cards I tested with a few years ago gave quite poor
> results.  The performance of reading and writing large files sequentially on
> an array of U160 disks was significantly less than on a single cheap IDE
> disk.
>
> The seek times were quite good however, so doing an upgrade through dselect
> went fairly quickly.
>
> > Secondly, the LINUX driver is kind of "special".
> > While GDT controllers are recognised as scsi adapters, the Mylex driver
> > has it's own device naming scheme (this is, why it doesn't appear in the
> > SCSI submenu: it is not a scsi driver).
>
> This is annoying.  But they aren't alone, there's CCISS and IDA as well.
>
> --
> http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/   My NSA Security Enhanced Linux packages
> http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/  Bonnie++ hard drive benchmark
> http://www.coker.com.au/postal/    Postal SMTP/POP benchmark
> http://www.coker.com.au/~russell/  My home page

micah

----
"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it
is the leaders of a country who determine the policy...Voice or no
voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
This is easy.  All you have to do is to tell them they are being
attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and
exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."
                                                  -- Goering, Nuremburg trial