Re: Why doesn't Exim ever clean out /var/spool/exim/input?

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 08:38:36PM -0500, tps@unslept.com wrote:

> > > However, if you want the most blazingly fast mailer, use zmailer. It's
> > > just not a general purpose MTA
> > true.
>
> For our mailman server, all mail goes to our zmailer (dedicated) machine, and
> BOY does that mail just fly outa there! The first time we tried this, I
> thought something was wrong, since the queue was empty before we had a chance
> to look! :)

i've had similar experiences after switching large lists from sendmail to
postfix.

if you have the inclination to experiment with a working setup :-), try
building a postfix box and configuring mailman to relay through it.  my bet is
you would be pleasantly surprised at just how well postfix compares to zmailer
for that task.

my guess is that, given comparable hardware, there'd be no significant speed
advantage to zmailer over postfix...and postfix IS a general purpose MTA as
well as being fast.

craig