Re: Why doesn't Exim ever clean out /var/spool/exim/input?

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 01:23:02PM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> The directory was using 17 megs....

that really hurts performance on an ext2/ext3 partition.  some other
filesystems (e.g. reiser, xfs) aren't affected so badly by huge directories.

> I'm not talking about the FILES in the directory... I'm talking about
> the directory ENTRIES (filename, inode number, etc.). I was forced to
> just say "screw it!" and I mv'd the input and msglog folders to other
> names and then created new, empty ones so that our mail server wouldn't
> buckle under the load.
>
> But anyway, like the subject line says, my real question is: why doesn't
> Exim ever clean this stuff out itself?

i can't answer your question, but here's some relevant advice for you:

exim doesn't scale.  if you want performance, switch to postfix.

craig