Re: Why doesn't Exim ever clean out /var/spool/exim/input?

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:43:39AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:35:33PM -0500, tps@unslept.com wrote:
> > I don't have the results after all this time. Exim beat postfix in raw
> > speed of moving mail in and/or out by over 15%.
>
> that must be specific to your particular hardware and/or usage, because it's
> contrary to every other postfix vs exim benchmark i've ever heard of.

What we did was mail 500k messages of various type, short, long, with
attachments, without, etc. and measured the time it took to do final
delivery of all the mail. We used the exact same hardware for all tests.
I tried to simulate what was 'real world' for us.

> e.g. Matthias Andree did a comprehensive benchmark comparison of postfix,
> qmail, and exim, and sendmail....and a followup comparison about a year later.
>
> it seems to have vanished off the web at the moment, but is still available by
> google cache....i've saved a copy of both benchmark pages at
> http://siva.taz.net.au/~cas/matthias/ (vsqmail.html is the first, bench2.html
> is the second).
>
> he tested the MTAs in various configurations, and postfix came out ahead in all
> of them - in one case, with postfix getting four times the throughput of exim
> (16.1 msgs/second vs 3.8).

Right now, I have a machine that is delivering > 15 msgs/second, and it's
not even a dedicated machine. I guess that says a lot about benchmarks. :)

> significantly, the only way that either exim or qmail could come close to
> postfix's speed was to enable the "softupdates" option of the freebsd
> filesystem, which risks losing mail if there is a crash or power-outage.
> postfix doesn't have that risk because it ensures that all mail is synced to
> disk before sending a "250 OK".
> > However, if you want the most blazingly fast mailer, use zmailer. It's just
> > not a general purpose MTA
>
> true.

For our mailman server, all mail goes to our zmailer (dedicated) machine,
and BOY does that mail just fly outa there! The first time we tried this,
I thought something was wrong, since the queue was empty before we had a
chance to look! :)

Tim