Re: Why doesn't Exim ever clean out /var/spool/exim/input?

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:35:33PM -0500, tps@unslept.com wrote:
> I don't have the results after all this time. Exim beat postfix in raw
> speed of moving mail in and/or out by over 15%.

that must be specific to your particular hardware and/or usage, because it's
contrary to every other postfix vs exim benchmark i've ever heard of.

e.g. Matthias Andree did a comprehensive benchmark comparison of postfix,
qmail, and exim, and sendmail....and a followup comparison about a year later.

it seems to have vanished off the web at the moment, but is still available by
google cache....i've saved a copy of both benchmark pages at
http://siva.taz.net.au/~cas/matthias/ (vsqmail.html is the first, bench2.html
is the second).

he tested the MTAs in various configurations, and postfix came out ahead in all
of them - in one case, with postfix getting four times the throughput of exim
(16.1 msgs/second vs 3.8).

significantly, the only way that either exim or qmail could come close to
postfix's speed was to enable the "softupdates" option of the freebsd
filesystem, which risks losing mail if there is a crash or power-outage.
postfix doesn't have that risk because it ensures that all mail is synced to
disk before sending a "250 OK".

> However, if you want the most blazingly fast mailer, use zmailer. It's just
> not a general purpose MTA

true.

craig