Re: debian-specific machine cloning

(No need to Cc me, btw.)

> On the golden machine do
> 	dpkg --get-selections > golden.txt
>
> copy -r /etc/apt/* to the new machine, as well as golden.txt
>
> Then do on the new clone
> 	apt-get update
> 	cat golden.txt | dpkg --set-selections
> 	apt-get upgrade

If I did that, I would get whatever was current on whatever apt sources I
was using.  For example, download.kde.org has a newer version of KDE 3 than
I have on the golden machine.  I've hand backported a bunch of stuff (like
kopete) that won't necessarily work with a newer KDE.  (My experience is
that it won't work, in fact.)  Hence my thought about using "dpkg-repack"
to regenerate what the golden machine has back into packages for use on the
other machines to use.  Then a good old-fashioned "dpkg --install *.deb" or
"dpkg -iGROEB" to either install everything or upgrade everything from
stable.

> That shoud do it. Or try one of the low-level approaches
> 	http://wyae.de/docs/img_dd.php
> 	http://wyae.de/docs/img_rsync.php

I'll look into those.

Thanks,