debian-specific machine cloning

Hello.  I maintain a small network of debian machines.  I've got one
machine that is kind of "golden" in a sense.  It's running stable + key
backports for various tools I need.  I thought about writing a script to
take the contents of "dpkg --list" and ram it through "dpkg-repack" and
basically end up with a set of packages representing everything on this
machine - then I can install them on the other machines that I maintain.
But I have to think that this is a solved problem.  Is it?

Thanks!
	Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.