Re: debian-specific machine cloning

Greetings!

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:02:50 -0500 Dale E Martin
<dmartin@cliftonlabs.com> wrote:

> Hello.  I maintain a small network of debian machines.  I've got one
> machine that is kind of "golden" in a sense.  It's running stable +
> key backports for various tools I need.  I thought about writing a
> script to take the contents of "dpkg --list" and ram it through
> "dpkg-repack" and basically end up with a set of packages representing
> everything on this machine - then I can install them on the other
> machines that I maintain. But I have to think that this is a solved
> problem.  Is it?

On the golden machine do
	dpkg --get-selections > golden.txt

copy -r /etc/apt/* to the new machine, as well as golden.txt

Then do on the new clone
	apt-get update
	cat golden.txt | dpkg --set-selections
	apt-get upgrade

That shoud do it. Or try one of the low-level approaches
	http://wyae.de/docs/img_dd.php
	http://wyae.de/docs/img_rsync.php

Bye

Volker Tanger