Re: SOP for debian isp/corporate server...

Greetings!

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:55:37 +0530 prasad <pgadgil@hathway.com> wrote:

> As many of you must have experienced, there are usual SOPs for setting
> up non-bloated, secure bare-bones Servers with respective OSs eg for
> solaris.
> Is there SOP for debian, if not, I guess this list is better poised to
> produce one. Any links, pointers... I have googled, but didn't find
> any old message,

SPO = Standards of Practice?  If so, see at
http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#securing
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html

A bare Debian install is pretty much stripped down (<50MB iirc), so not
overly much bloat here.

> One of the reasons I have found, one company took
> a policy decision to not deploy to linux servers some time back, is
> becuse these rapidly moving distros like RH with insecure preinstalled
> bloat, was causing major maintainance & security hasle.

Well, with the current release timescale being ~2 years (3.0 was
released 2002-07-19) I won't call Debian "rapidly moving"...
Maintenance is - as always - minimum hassle with Debian.
:-)

Bye

Volker Tanger
ITK-Security