Re: SOP for debian isp/corporate server...

Prasad,
1)   There is a manual on securing Debian at:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto

2) There really is no SOP on "bloat" because one man's bloat is another's needed
service.

   You, however, can create your own. Basically do an install and add/strip
whatever packages you want. Once you have your "perfect" set of packages do a:

dpkg --get-selections '*' > {some-file-name}

  You will now have a list of the status of all Debian packages (i.e. installed,
purged, etc.) on your system.

  Next time you do an install do a:

dpkg --set-selections < {some-file-name}

then run apt-get dselect-upgrade

This will add and remove packages as needed to bring the packages on your new
system exactly like the base system.

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com