Re: FreeBSD/ Redhat / Debian

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:00:18 +0100, in linux.debian.isp you wrote:

>	I will be new user of Debian. For quick tour I want to learn and I
>want to get your advise about Comparing other OS with Debian .

well, three really bad kernel bugs and now on 2.6 kernel so many new
things - in 2004 linux administrators will have to follow security
mailing lists very closely. it will be a time consuming job to update
kernels every x weeks.

Also you will have to be a security expert to get a secured system, as
neither debian nor redhat kernels are "hardened" out of the box. maybe
it´s better to take a look at adamantix.org, that is based on debian.

if freebsd is in your choice, take a deeper look into it. seems to be
much more developed. better "jail" solution, especially interesting
for webhosting. Better accounting, better filesystem.

that´s how it appears to me. i have average admin knowledge and judge
only on one thing: "how much time does it cost to keep the system
running". Linux was to expensive last year.

Peter