Re: Woody Stable and Kernel 2.4.21

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:33:18PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
>#include <hallo.h>
>* Jason Lim [Wed, Jul 02 2003, 10:51:35PM]:
>
>> Nowadays, many motherboards have built-in ethernet ports. The most common
>> seem to be either the SiS chipset (SIS900) or Intel's one (don't know what
>> model number... but i think eepro or something?)
>>
>> Realtek is the most common PCI one... virtually all cheap PCI LAN cards
>> have Realtek chipsets.
>
>All mentioned cards are supported by the bf2.4 kernel or will be
>supported by the next generations of boot-floppies. What is your
>problem? The broadcom things are not supported just because the stupid
>drivers are not part of the normal vanilla kernel.

Can you be more specific about broadcom drivers (the red hat
bug report wasn't). I had a heck of a time installing on a
dell laptop which required a pcmcia card to get the install
along enough to download a kernel and Xfree, I bet the linux
broadcom net driver was on a cd though. here's a rough write up
http://galis.org/doc/dell.inspiron.1100.html (with references to RH
bugzilla)

Just as frustrating (and I don't know the timetable with the bf2.4 and
realtek drivers) is the missing realtek, I have a 'bunch' of realtek
cards I picked up for $5 each, but I have to put in a tulip card to get
through the install.

Realtek is in next boot floppies, great. In the next gen boot floppies I
would suggest making one for each type of driver, eg all the drivers/net
might fit on one, so people using floppies don't need the whole set;
also why not make all or virtually all the modules under such a
system. If somebody has disk space issues they can rm unneeded ones
before they continue the install. Plus a 20Mb install cdrom that works
with virtually everything would be okay. (actually install disk driver
issues kept me away from debian for over a year.)

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org