Re: Woody Stable and Kernel 2.4.21

#include <hallo.h>
* Jason Lim [Wed, Jul 02 2003, 10:51:35PM]:

> Nowadays, many motherboards have built-in ethernet ports. The most common
> seem to be either the SiS chipset (SIS900) or Intel's one (don't know what
> model number... but i think eepro or something?)
>
> Realtek is the most common PCI one... virtually all cheap PCI LAN cards
> have Realtek chipsets.

All mentioned cards are supported by the bf2.4 kernel or will be
supported by the next generations of boot-floppies. What is your
problem? The broadcom things are not supported just because the stupid
drivers are not part of the normal vanilla kernel.

> Not THAT many.
>
> Actually, I like the way Redhat does it. IMHO Redhat has one of the best
> installation "procedures" going. With the 3ware card installed, it
> automatically loads up the 3wxxxx.o (i think that's what it's called?).

bf2.4 loads the 3ware driver. Some exotic controllers are only supported
if you insert a module-preload disk with scsi drivers and load them
manually. There is no good way to fix it, we cannot include every driver
on _one_ floppy.

MfG,
Eduard.
--
<cray> knopper wie ich mitbekommen habe hast du irgendwie etwas mit knoppix zu
	tun, ..