Re: gFTP problems?

On July 5, 2003 09:07 pm, Martin Wheeler wrote:

> This is the information I wanted -- thanks for confirming my suspicions.
> (I'd actually checked my own firewall settings, and port 20 is open for
> ftp; I tried opening up another port to see if the remote would find it,
> but it didn't.  So I was at a bit of a loss as to which of us had a
> problem.)

Are you certain that you're allowing port 20?  In active-mode (i.e. not
passive) the ftp server makes a connection to the client, the client does not
establish the connection to port 20.

> Guess I now have to persuade the ISP to tell me which port they have open
> for ftp traffic -- presumably they've closed down port 20 to discourage the
> black-hats.

If it's working for other clients (Cute FTP?) then it should work for you.
Are you using a Linux firewall?  In a Linux 2.2 firewall you should load the
ip_masq_ftp module.  In a Linux 2.4 firewall you should use the
ip_conntrack_ftp module.  Have you run a tcpdump on you Internet interface to
ensure that the packets from source port 20 are indeed not reaching you?

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux