Re: Woody Stable and Kernel 2.4.21

> Make the distro with lots of common eth drivers!

Fully agree.

Nowadays, many motherboards have built-in ethernet ports. The most common
seem to be either the SiS chipset (SIS900) or Intel's one (don't know what
model number... but i think eepro or something?)

Realtek is the most common PCI one... virtually all cheap PCI LAN cards
have Realtek chipsets.

Then you got the common ones used by many larger manufactureres... 3com...
Intel (again)...

Not THAT many.

Actually, I like the way Redhat does it. IMHO Redhat has one of the best
installation "procedures" going. With the 3ware card installed, it
automatically loads up the 3wxxxx.o (i think that's what it's called?).

And if you think it's a headache installing without the network interface,
you ain't had fun without the disk driver like 3ware. That means you
either got to make a custom installation kernel, or install to a regular
IDE HD, then copy everything over to the 3ware RAID.

PITA.

> It is a major PITA installing without them. It is quite typical that I
> go to a site and have them make a 10Mb debian install CD from which I
> build a complete system using their network connection.
>
> However the debian kernel is missing many net drivers. I'm speaking
> particularly of the drivers required for many of the modern integrated
> interfaces. Realtek and Broadcom (though that is not part of the 2.4
> kernels, last I checked) are the first to come to mind.

Just like Redhat, aye?

> My point is having _most_ of the network drivers available as modules
> _is_a_good_thing_ (tm).  It's a royal pain building a system when you
> must temporarily add a pci or pcmcia interface to download source to
> compile for integrated interfaces.

Yeap yeap... like the way Redhat does it.

> I don't know if the issue steams from different kinds of network
> interfaces and isp connections in Europe verses USA, but I for one would
> really appreciate some more eth drivers in the Debian kernels. If there
> is any question of which 10% more interfaces would be good to add,
> please let me know, on or off list.

And some of the popular RAID hardware too.