Re: Creating custom, automated, Debian installs.

--Tuesday, October 21, 2003 11:57:31 +0200 Ulrich Scholler <scholler@fnb.tu-darmstadt.de>:

Hi,

On Mon Oct 20, 2003 at 18:25:52 +0100, Steve Kemp wrote:
  What should be my way forward?  Would FAI work best or
  should I look at some scheme for creating a new
 release ISO instead?

I think, as a happy user of FAI, that FAI is a very good
tool for what you want to do.  It is very fast and
extremely flexible.  Its downside is that the
configuration takes a while and requires skripting skills.

Agreed, FAI is impressive. Quite a hassle to set up if you have specific needs as custom kernels or pre-installing customized passwd/shadow files with md5 support. But once it works it takes a minute or so to get a new box up and running! So it's well worth the initial work you'll have to invest. The FAI mailinglist and esp. Thomas Lange is very helpful. Make sure you check the docs at http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

Cheers,
Marcel