Re: Mail Queue timeouts

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 at 15:12:55 +1100, Lauchlin Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what are peoples thoughts on the length of time mail should sit in the
> mail queue?  Due to the rise in the amount of spam and viruses that
> seems to be going around lately I throttled back the delivery warning
> back to 30 minutes and the delivery failure back to 12 hours.  My logic
> is that most people these days expect e-mail to be pretty instant so to
> have mail sitting in a queue for 7 days and not getting a warning for
> several hours seems a bit old fashioned.   So far 12 hours and 30
> minutes seems to be working well.  What are other people doing?

Just a note: I have noticed that sending warnings about messages waiting
in the queue causes problems with e.g. mailing lists - users get removed
from mailing lists by list manager programs which treat warnings as
errors.

--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.