Re: Apache clustering w/ load balancing and failover

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 02:00:35PM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> Looking at the documentation for LVS, it mentions that it needs two
> nodes, a primary node and a backup node which then feeds into n real
> servers.

We're using a single LVS server to balance things out to 4 webserver, 2
POP mail and 2 SMTP mail servers. Actually, it's 3 webservers right now,
as a hardware failure required us to steal a webserver for 'other uses'
;)

All of the servers behind the LVS are netbooting from an NFS machine.

This sucks because we have a single point of failure (LVS) but the
intent is to get a second eLViS (hehe) running with heartbeat between
the two. It's on the network map ;)

So you can run it with a single LVS, but I wouldn't prefer to. Since
it's simply redirecting stuff, it doesnt' need to be that powerful.

+ It's simply not       | John Keimel            +
+ RFC1149 compliant!    | john@keimel.com        +
+                       | http://www.keimel.com  +