Apache clustering w/ load balancing and failover

Hi,

I am looking to implement an Apache cluster with Load Balancing and
failover and after going through several options, the only one that is
not too complex and does everything that I need seems to be pen

http://siag.nu/pen/

I am curious about other peoples experience with this / other clustering
software. I have already looked at software like lvs / heartbeat but it
feels like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I also looked at mod_proxy but that doesnt seem to take care of
fail-over. Also, its quite important that the cluster would recognize
hung / crashed apache as well.

It will start off with three nodes and might get more added on later.

Any info / opinions / tips / links appreciated.

Best wishes,

Shri
Shri Shrikumar       U R Byte Solutions           Tel:   0845 644 4745
I.T. Consultant	     Edinburgh, Scotland          Mob:   0773 980 3499
                     Web: www.urbyte.com          Email: shri@urbyte.com