OT: testing vs. unstable for new laptop installation

I know this is a bit off-topic, but hope I can gather some opinions here. I'm about to install Debian on a new laptop that's going to be my primary personal machine. I'm trying to figure out whether I'm better off putting on testing or unstable (I use KDE, and stable still has the ancient version 2; it's not in consideration here).

I know the relative advantages/disadvantages on a general basis (i.e., slow security updates to testing), so what I'm really looking for is a view on the current state of the distros -- is unstable solid enough to install and use on a daily basis? Is testing already getting behind in versions?

My main apps are KDE and OpenOffice; they need to work well. I use Phoenix (or whatever it's called this week) as my primary browser, and I use the non-open-source, but nonetheless excellent, Mulberry for IMAP email (just downloaded their new version 3, which apart from requiring a new registration fee has a totally different screen layout); still trying to decide whether I like it or not).

Thanks for any thoughts on this...

John
jra@febo.com