Re: OT: testing vs. unstable for new laptop installation

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 14:18, John R. Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> I know this is a bit off-topic, but hope I can gather some opinions here.
> I'm about to install Debian on a new laptop that's going to be my primary
> personal machine.  I'm trying to figure out whether I'm better off putting
> on testing or unstable (I use KDE, and stable still has the ancient version
> 2; it's not in consideration here).
>
> I know the relative advantages/disadvantages on a general basis (i.e., slow
> security updates to testing), so what I'm really looking for is a view on
> the current state of the distros -- is unstable solid enough to install and
> use on a daily basis?  Is testing already getting behind in versions?

I'm using unstable on my desktop (with a few tweaks of my own... I'm
also running 2.6.0-test2 as my kernel... mmm... speedy), and I've had no
problems at all with it other than the odd package which is listed in
Synaptic but has no installation candidates.

> My main apps are KDE and OpenOffice; they need to work well.  I use Phoenix
> (or whatever it's called this week) as my primary browser, and I use the
> non-open-source, but nonetheless excellent, Mulberry for IMAP email (just
> downloaded their new version 3, which apart from requiring a new
> registration fee has a totally different screen layout); still trying to
> decide whether I like it or not).

Can't help you there, I'm a Gnome user. (But the version of Gnome in
unstable is nice.)

--
(Also) Jon    ^^^
      (0 0) jellybob.co.uk