Re: OT: testing vs. unstable for new laptop installation

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 23:18, John R. Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> I know this is a bit off-topic, but hope I can gather some opinions here.
> I'm about to install Debian on a new laptop that's going to be my primary
> personal machine.  I'm trying to figure out whether I'm better off putting
> on testing or unstable (I use KDE, and stable still has the ancient version
> 2; it's not in consideration here).

I use use /etc/apt/preferences to pin to testing, put testing and
unstable in /etc/apt/sources.list, and use aptitude to selectively
install from unstable.

This gives me the best of both worlds; a stable base system, optional
security updates from stable, and bleeding edge gnome :-)

Just using unstable is too risky IMHO. sure, 70~80% of the time it is
fine, then you do an update and find that it happens to be in the middle
of some sort of transition and it's busted.

For example, right now python is under transition from 2.2 to 2.3, and
is mostly busted in unstable.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/