Re: OT: testing vs. unstable for new laptop installation

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, John R. Ackermann   N8UR wrote:

> I'm about to install Debian on a new laptop that's going to be my primary
> personal machine.

I too have a similar setup.

>  I'm trying to figure out whether I'm better off putting
> on testing or unstable

>From what you say, it sounds as if only unstable is going to give you the
latest versions of your preferred software.

Personally, I stick with testing, as this machine *must* work when I'm demoing
something or other to a client -- unstable doesn't often go horribly wrong,
but when it does, it can lock you out of your system totally -- just at the
wrong moment.

> the current state of the distros -- is unstable solid enough to install and
> use on a daily basis?

I have two friends who say yes.  But they use their machines for fun; not
work.  Personally, I distrust it.  And my laptop helps me earn a living.

>  Is testing already getting behind in versions?

Yes.

One workaround I'm using at the moment on my Toshiba is to have two versions
of Debian -- testing and Knoppix.  (Knoppix is basically unstable; but it can
be a pig to update.)

HTH.
msw@startext.demon.co.uk                      http://startext.demon.co.uk/
GPG pub key : 8D6B948B  ECC6 D98E 4CC8 60E3 7E32  D594 BB27 3368 8D6B 948B