Re: Postfix and SMTP-AUTH once again (SOLVED)

Sorry folks, I accidentally mailed my initial question to the list after I
initially forgot to change my identity to an emailadress accepted by the
debian list software. This is what I wanted to post again.

My apologies.

Hi again,

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 06:05, Rod Rodolico wrote:
> I've been running unstable on our main web server (60+ domains, 200+
> users, apache, perl, mysql, bind, exim, courier, etc...) for two years and
> had only a few problems. I have an identical machine running in the office
> and always upgrade it first. I have had problems two or three times during
> upgrades, then waited a couple of days and upgraded again and it works.
> Then, I upgrade the main server.
>
> I love to tell my friends who live by RedHat or Mandrake that my
> production Debian box runs unstable better than their release installs :)
>
> Rod

thanks for the info. That sounded good enough for me. I just updated to
unstable and it worked like a charm. Then I configured postfix and sasl the
way it is described in the numerous howtos which I also followed before and
... hold your breath ... it worked with just some very minor adjustments.

Usually I'm very reluctant to blame things on packages or software since
usually the problem is in front of the monitor but I think in this case I can
say the debian testing postfix-tls-sasl-smtp-auth thing is officially broken.

One thing that might be of interest to others is a permission problem I ran
into. I'm using saslauthd now and postfix at first couldn't access
saslauthd's mux socket. After fixing that, it worked. The error message was:

SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: Permission
denied

Thanks again for any suggestions made.

Richard