Re: mysql

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:59, Bernard Choppy wrote:
> > You shouldn't compile mysql yourself if not really required. It's
>
> But, uh... For over than 700 databases, I personaly recommend recompiling,

What has 700 databases got to do with it?

700 typical web databases would get less combined work than a typical Oracle
database.

> though. The main reason for that is performance : you can ensure the binary
> being compiled against your very configuration, optimizing against speed on
> the processor, in particular.

Done any benchmarks to show this?

One thing you may discover is that the person doing the Debian packaging knows
things you don't, and has actually done things to optimise that you haven't
thought of.  I often find that Debian packages just work when other builds of
the same software mysteriously fail.

> Anyway, I would recommend building a custom kernel, fille donly with
> _really mandatory_ drivers, and a recent stable version. Yes, even on
> Debian ;-))

I agree that building a kernel for your hardware is generally a good idea.