Re: load average question

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Use top(1) to to view processes.

Have been doing that constantly, my eyes hurt :)  Sendmail the top dog
with the occasional hit from Openwebmail which shows as perl.  Popper will
do a quick peak and then usually drop off.

> No performance issues using vm-pop3d, exim (MTA), apache and
> OpenWebMail with around 10,000 email accounts on similar hardware.

10,000 email accounts on a similar machine?  Man, I must be doing
something wrong!  I assume you are running Debian?  Sounds more and more
to me like a Red Hat and sendmail problem in my case if I can't handle
2,300 mail accounts.

> In the past, when using qpopper with 10-15,000 accounts, I improved
> performance by using qpopper "server" mode.

I tried that and the qpopper stopped responding after about 30 minutes and
the Outlook users would get the xinetd error.

Thank you to everyone who responded, it is obvious that I need to get a
Debian box up and see how it performs under this load, I am sure it will
do much better.

-Scott