Re: load average question

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Scott St. John wrote:

> territory and installed 7.2 with Sendmail/QPopper/Apache/OpenWebMail.  I am
> paying
> for that now with a huge performance problem.  I am seeing Load Averages
> spiking
> above 6 during the day.  Hardware is a Dual P3-600 with a gig of ram on a IBM
> Netfinity Raid 5 controller.

Use top(1) to to view processes.

With Red Hat, using the sadc (system activity data collector) with sa and
sar can easily tell you wwhat processes/programs are your resource hogs.

(Your BSD/OS had similar with lastcomm and sa.)

> The owner of the company wants to go back to BSD, but I want to pursue
> Debian.

Debian is great. NetBSD is also great and very similar to BSD/OS (as
another alternative).

> So the question is:  is anyone running a similar set up with either
> Sendmail or Posrtfix servicing 2,000+ email accounts with any
> performance issues?

No performance issues using vm-pop3d, exim (MTA), apache and
OpenWebMail with around 10,000 email accounts on similar hardware.

In the past, when using qpopper with 10-15,000 accounts, I improved
performance by using qpopper "server" mode.

Good luck,

  Jeremy C. Reed
echo 'G014AE824B0-07CC?/JJFFFI?D64CB>D=3C427=>;>6HI2><J' |
tr /-_ :\ Sc-y./ | sed swxw`uname`w