Re: load average question

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Scott wrote:

> > No performance issues using vm-pop3d, exim (MTA), apache and
> > OpenWebMail with around 10,000 email accounts on similar hardware.
>
> 10,000 email accounts on a similar machine?  Man, I must be doing
> something wrong!  I assume you are running Debian?  Sounds more and more

In fact, that similar machine is Red Hat Linux 7.2 on i386 hardware.

(But have also done similar with Debian, BSD/OS and others.)

> to me like a Red Hat and sendmail problem in my case if I can't handle
> 2,300 mail accounts.

Red Hat Linux and Debian Linux should have near same performance. (A
difference could be the filesystem used and how it is used.)

> > In the past, when using qpopper with 10-15,000 accounts, I improved
> > performance by using qpopper "server" mode.
>
> I tried that and the qpopper stopped responding after about 30 minutes and
> the Outlook users would get the xinetd error.

What xinetd error?

(You can configure xinetd for many connections.)

> Thank you to everyone who responded, it is obvious that I need to get a
> Debian box up and see how it performs under this load, I am sure it will
> do much better.

I don't see how the performance could be much different when using the
same software.

(But many find that Debian is usually easier to administer.)

  Jeremy C. Reed
     ISP-FAQ.com -- find answers to your questions
     http://www.isp-faq.com/