Re: mysqlsnapshot and InnoDB tables

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 02:33:54PM +0200, Amaya wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I have successfully setup MySQL replication enviroment in several
> clusters at work. The thing is that it is a little cumbersome
> proccess as I have to make a snapshot of the databases in the master
> server everytime and I have to stop the service in order to do it.
>
> I have just come across mysqlsnapshot [1] and it claims [2] that it can
> generate an initial snapshot and consistent bin-log for MySQL
> replication (on the master server) without taking the master off-line.
> The only catch is that the binary log must already be enabled.

So far, so good.

> The problem is that I use InnoDB and it is supposed only to work for
> the MyISAM kind.

Correct.

> Questions come to my mind:
> Would it be very hard to support both kind of databases?

That depends.  I don't know if it's "safe" to backup the InnoDB
tablespaces without shutting the server down.  I suspect that it's not
because there is no way to force InnoDB to commit all logged
transactions.  In practice it may not be a problem, but it could be.

I'll have to ask the InnoDB developer about that.

If the answer is "yes", then adding support to mysqlsnapshot should be
quite easy.

Jeremy
<Jeremy@Zawodny.com>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/