Re: Bandwidth... compression... saving $$?

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 04:37:37AM +1000, Jason Lim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If you live in Australia, i'm sure you know about the exorbant prices for
> broadband here. HK, on the other hand, provide unlimited bandwidth and
> fast connections.
>
> I was wondering about this... okay, we know about mod_gzip for Apache, and
> i *think* it does proxy connections (through mod_proxy, the poor man's
> proxy compared to Squid). So one could go through the compressed proxy and
> in effect get more downloads.
>
> However, I was wondering if there is a solid method to setup a link
> between a Linux or Windows or Mac box here in Australia, and have all data
> travel across a compressed tunnel of some sort.
>
> I've been playing with "Zebedee - a simple, free, secure TCP and UDP
> tunnel program", which does compression, but it isn't very elegant. You
> have to setup a local port (eg. localhost:10100) and have it transparently
> redirect/tunnel over to the box in HK (eg. 202.200.111.101:80). As you can
> imagine, you'd have to setup one local port and one remote port link for
> each item, plus some software doesn't allow you to change the port, so in
> essense you're stuck with using whatever the software had hardwired in.
>
> Any ideas on how this tunnelling could be made completely transparent (or
> as transparent as possible)?
>
> I'm sure if this could be worked out, a lot of us here in Australia would
> be pretty happy :-)

have a look at rproxy... it does rsync style delta updates of http traffic.
This can buy you more than standard compression, because 90% of http is
uncacheable, and most of the volume is uncompressable images. The rsync
style delta updates "update" the uncacheable-but-unchanged images with
negligable traffic.

You can setup an rproxy in Australia using an Asian rproxy parent, giving
good delta compression between the two. A decent proxy setup with rproxy for
relevant traffic might work out OK.

Unfortunately rproxy has not been updated for ages. I keep meaning to do
something in Python but never find the time.

For other traffic, a compressed tunnel would be pretty simple... just make
your tunnel to asia the default route. I'm not sure it would buy you much
other than latency though :-(

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key