Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?

> procmail/spamassasin process mails yes "inside" the server, I just
> give you a made up example:
>
>      60 Mails incoming per Minute,
>
>      5 seconds average Spamassasin procesing time per Mail
>
>      => 60-12 = 48 Mails per Minute  piling up on your incoming mail
>      queue = 48 new Spamassasin  processes per Minute consuming your
>      resources.
>
> While RBL throttles Mail Flow (and spares Disk space) thus protecting
> you in advance, Spamassasin puts the load on your side.

Well, they are not exactly comparable, as the rule-based Spamassassin does
things based on "keywords and "keyphrases" and that kind of thing, while
RBLs do things based on actual spam activity. In my view, the collateral
damage of using Spamassassin's rule based blocks is too great.

The only RBL a business should really use is the Spamcop.net RBL, because
is blocks only when actual spam occurs, and not just blocks "all of Asia"
as some other RBLs do. I'm not going to get into the whole RBL comparison
thing, but just wanted to point out the "collateral damage" point.