Re: rblsmtpd -t?

> > Does the -t option work in such a way, that if -t 10 was inserted,
then
> > the mail server would wait a maximum of 10 seconds for the lookup
requests
> > to be complete, and if they aren't complete, then ignore them and let
the
> > email through?
>
> Sadly, that's not what I've understood. I've been looking for such an
> option (to limit the total amount of time spent on the RBL queries)
> myself as well, to avoid clients timing out if a RBL is down.

That is *EXACTLY* what my thoughts are. Imagine if you have, for example,
3 RBLs it goes through. If 2 RBLs are slow or down, then the actual
connection time will be in excess of 120 seconds - 3 minutes, which means
most clients will time out by then.

> But as far as I know, -t only controls the period that's described in
> the part you quoted: the time rblsmtpd is willing to continue talking to
> a spamming client that apparently doesn't take no for an answer, before
> dropping the connection.
>
> The phrase "'the' timeout" in the manpage is a bit ambiguous, agreed.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. I was testing, and it didn't work as
intented (the limit time on RBLs).

Does anyone know of a way around this, as it is severely crippling any
mail server that uses rblsmtpd.

Sincerely,
Jason
http://www.zentek-international.com