Re: rblsmtpd -t?

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 11:02:08AM +1000, Jason Lim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a bit off-topic, but since I run a number of high volume incoming
> mail servers, this applies to any ISP...
>
> >From http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/rblsmtpd.html
>
> ---------------------------
>      rblsmtpd opts prog
>
> rblsmtpd drops the limited SMTP conversation after 60 seconds, even if the
> client has not quit by then.

> * -t n: Change the timeout to n seconds.
> ---------------------------
>
> Some of the rbls and block lists are getting very slow in responding to
> lookups. So the overall performance of the mail servers is getting pretty
> terrible, as each client must wait around while the mail server does it's
> lookups.

Yes.  I've been thinking about caching rblsmtpd queries in our own local
rbl.  There are terms of use on the various services some say secondary
ok, some not.

> Does the -t option work in such a way, that if -t 10 was inserted, then
> the mail server would wait a maximum of 10 seconds for the lookup requests
> to be complete, and if they aren't complete, then ignore them and let the
> email through?

Is the load from all those rblsmtpd process bigger than accepting the
email | procmail | spamassassin?  I've no idea how many times
the typical spam tries to get through before it dies.

What services are you using?

/usr/bin/rblsmtpd -aaccept.maine.com -rrbl.maine.com
-rrelays.osirusoft.com -rrelays.ordb.org -rdnsbl.njabl.org

Where the default debian rblcheck uses these:
127.0.0.1 not RBL filtered by relays.osirusoft.com
127.0.0.1 not RBL filtered by relays.ordb.org
127.0.0.1 not RBL filtered by dnsbl.njabl.org
127.0.0.1 not RBL filtered by ztl.dorkslayers.com
127.0.0.1 not RBL filtered by blacklist.spambag.org
127.0.0.1 not RBL filtered by opm.blitzed.org

How do those get chosen?

Unfortunately dorkslayers and spambag block so much of
Sprint that we can't use them, not if we want to keep any
clients.