Re: Radius choices now that freeradius has been dropped from woody.

i agree with you that those side effects are possible, but i really think that
the best of the world is a good trade off. We run quite a bunch of debian based
systems, all on potato actually, but all of them runs some soft which are needed,
form unstable. The thing is to test before pushing the update to the prod servers.
this is, i totally agree, sometimes a pain, but this is really , imho, the thing
to run with.

JeF
On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 03:03:39AM -0400, Chuck Peters wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:28:04 -0400, Chuck Peters wrote:
> > > One of our techs wants to use freeradius on a production box, but now that
> > > it has been dropped from woody I would rather use something else.
> >
> > Looking at
> > http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_excuses.html#radiusd-freeradius
> > the one problematic bug can be worked around by compiling from source - you
> > could consider having both testing and unstable in the box's sources.list,
> > pinning it to testing, but using freeradius from unstable.
>
> I don't like the idea of doing that on production boxes running multiple
> services becuase it seems likely that some security update will cause a
> cascade of upgrades or break something.  Most of the time unstable stuff
> works fine, but sometimes it bites you in the ass.  Maybe if we setup a
> seperate box running not much other than the freeraduis it could be ok.
>
> At
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=142217&repeatmerged=yes
> it says "radiusd-freeradius is too buggy.  This is a grave bug, by Policy
> s2.1.2. Maybe it will be ready for Woody+1."
>
> What does the Woody+1 mean, a minor release/update to woody or does it
> mean sid?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck
>

> > Ray
> > --
> > People think I'm a nice guy, and the fact is that I'm a scheming, conniving
> > bastard who doesn't care for any hurt feelings or lost hours of work if it
> > just results in what I consider to be a better system.
> > 	Linus Torvalds on the linux-kernel list
> >

> > --

-> Jean-Francois Dive
--> jef@linuxbe.org