Re: Mail Servers

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:37, Jason Lim wrote:
> > Some of my friends even take hidden tape recorders into meetings.
>
> I thought that, legally, one would have to actually warn the person being
> recorded that a recording was taking place. I know that when I phone a
> number of large companies, they say specifically "this call is being
> monitored for quality assurance purposes" or "for training purposes" or
> something. I don't think it is legal for them to secretly record messages.
> But again, if it isn't done for malicious purposes... well... hum... its
> still debatable ;-)

The use of a hidden recorder can only be considered as "malicious", unless
you are the one with the recorder.

> But laws regarding email are still pretty shady at the moment... i
> would've thought a short statement like "This message is private and
> confidential" would at least help to clarify and make obvious the fact
> that you don't want people giving this information out to third parties
> (make that competitors and such), and allow a company to "more easily"
> enact any applicable non-disclosure laws.

If it's added manually yes.  If it's automatically appended to everything
then it can be safely ignored.

> We certainly wouldn't want a client to sending the details of our private
> deal with them to a competitor or other clients. Imagine what would happen
> then! "Hey, you gave him 2U more space than us for the same price!" hehe

Well you need to have a specific clause in the contract if you want that to
happen.  But no-one sues their customers so as long as your customer pays
their bills then you can't do anything about it.

Best thing to do is tell them that you're giving them an extra good deal and
that if they tell anyone then they get the "standard rate" next time.  Tell
that to every customer including the ones who pay more.  ;)