Re: central authentication with LDAP

Using the "-x" switch to disable SASL is one solution to this (and it's quite
adequate for localhost connections).  For network connections you may want to
get SASL working (I don't know how to do this) or to use TLS (not currently
supported in Debian packages last time I checked).

Tried that but it didn't work either.

> but /etc/init.d/slapd stop will not stop slapd. killall -9 slapd will stop
> it.

Strange.  Sounds like a buggy init script.  A new set of OpenLDAP packages is
due soon, hopefully they'll involve a re-write of the start scripts.

It's not the init script. I tried starting it by hand with the same result.

> If I start it by hand /usr/sbin/slapd -d 256  the first thing it says is..
> daemon: socket() failed errno=22 (invalid argument)
> then it starts and starts saying

The slapd doesn't display enough debugging info.  You'll have to strace it to
find out what that error means exactly.

Actually after it spit out a few thousand connect messages it locked up the computer. The computer kept saying no free files. I had to reboot using the switch!. I went home after that. Something is very very broken but I have no idea what it is..

             Tim Uckun
      Mobile Intelligence Unit.
   "There are some who call me TIM?"