Re: central authentication with LDAP

If the LDAP server accepts the connection and just does nothing then things
can get bad.

I am having a problem like this (I think).
I installed slapd using apt-get and it did not complain. But very strange things are happening.
When I do an ldapsearch it hangs for a long time and then returns with
"ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server"

This occurs even if I do a ldapsearch -h 127.0.0.1

ps -ax shows ldap running.
LSOF shows ldap listening.

but /etc/init.d/slapd stop will not stop slapd. killall -9 slapd will stop it.

If I start it by hand /usr/sbin/slapd -d 256  the first thing it says is..
daemon: socket() failed errno=22 (invalid argument)
then it starts and starts saying
daemon: conn=X FS=Y connection from IP=(it's own IP):somehighport (ip=0.0.0.0:34049) accepted
Where X and Y are increasing integers

So why is slapd running, listening but not answering?

:wq
Tim Uckun
US Investigations Services/Due Diligence
 http://www.diligence.com/